Friday, January 8, 2016

One room with three boys!


Life with three young boys can be exciting! When you have a small house it can be tricky to fit all their stuff.  Today I would like to show you how I fit three boys and their toys in the same bedroom.

First off we do have enough room in our house that the two oldest boys would be able to have their room while our youngest to have his own room. In our family though this doesn't work.  When we first moved in, that was our set up. Our two oldest shared a room upstairs and our youngest stayed in the bedroom next to ours. After two or three months of the oldest two constantly telling us they could not sleep in the room by themselves. The two oldest boys would tell us they heard noises, were scared of the dark, complain there was something up there, and ultimately would procrastinate their bedtime every single night. Every single night was tough and long trying to get the kids in bed.  It was exhausting! The next thing was that they started asking why the youngest got his own rooms and the older two had to share a room upstairs away from the family. I felt horrible that they had thought of that!  When we first moved in I had thought of putting everyone in the same room but ultimately decided to try to give the big boys a bit of freedom.  

After having such issues with the boys bedtime, I decided to try and put them all in the same bedroom. So far, they have been in the same bedroom for two months now and it is like night and day. I was scared that my youngest would have a hard time going to sleep with his two older brothers in the same room, but I am so grateful that every night when it is bedtime, it is a breeze! We read a book each night, we sing songs, then I give each boy hugs and kisses and they all go to sleep so easily. The two older boys have no problem and do not procrastinate like they used to. The two older boys also do not complain of noises and other paranormal kind of things as before...  Bedtime is quick, painless, easy, and enjoyable for everyone!

Our house is not big!  The 2 bedrooms downstairs are fairly roomy though!  The boys share the larger room, while my husband and I take the slightly smaller room.  I made my eldest boys beds in Japan, and they love them!  They work nicely for this small room.  I have the youngest in a twin bed on a medal frame, and the oldest two use their loft and platform bed in the "L" configuration as they prefer.

I'm not saying it's easy, but it works for us!  Here is our room...


The entrance, you see we use over the door shoe hangers for extra vertical storage.


Under the first bed are 3 bins that house extra sheets and blankets for all the beds.


This dresser has 3 draws on top, one for each child's socks and undies/diapers.  The 4 draws on the bottom go to 1 per child and the extra drawer is misc. 


As you pan the room, you can see all 3 beds here...  The extra room under the loft is where I have the smaller "library".  (Our upstairs room has 4 book cases full of books!)


Our cat loves to hang out in this room you see!  The book area could be a fort, a house, anything really!  I even hang my wrap up and he swings sometimes! 


The great thing is when we are done swinging, I can just in-tie the wrap and use it for carrying little boy!


Continuing the tour, you see the long set of cubbies? They make excellent you storage!  I also hung a shelf to put other items on including the boys fish tank nightlight.


Here is the closet area.  I currently have 1 long panel hanging down, but I'll provbavly grab another for easier getting in and out.  The medal doors that are suppose to glide on the rail were broken when we moved in, so I took the doors off and just left it "open".


Inside the closet I have more cubby space to hold toys with more pieces, and then all school clothes/nice clothes are hung up. 


Under the bottom bunk bed I have more bins that house "play clothes" the kids everyday not school nor church clothes items.  

We love our set up, and the kids are HAPPY! That's what counts!  It might be a little crammed, it might be a lot messy when all the toys are out, but this is what works for us!





No comments:

Post a Comment