Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Stone Soup



This past weekend we hosted our first "stone soup" party!

How did we do it? Well first I decided the rules and sent out the invitations. On the invitation I explained that everyone had to bring at least one ingredient for our stone soup that we would make that day all while playing board games and card games.  My idea was that we would have at least one soup, possibly two depending on what ingredients everyone brought. I asked everybody to come early in the morning around 10:30 AM and planned on us eating around 5 or 6 PM.  

I set out some crudité with homemade cucumber lime dip, as well as an assortment of chips.

After our first guests showed up we started the base of the soup.  The first thing I did was sautéed some celery onions and carrots in butter.  I then added some home made chicken bone broth that I had cooked the night before. Our first guest brought mushrooms, so those we decided would be one of the last items to add to the soup. (We didn't want them to get mushy.)

Since everyone who was coming looked as if they were only bringing vegetables, I decided to rummage through my freezer and found some chicken apple sausage that we decided to add. Along with the sausage we added seasonings. Seasonings consisted of Thyme, rosemary, parsley, salt, pepper, and 2 cloves of freshly minced garlic.

A while later, more friends showed up with fresh carrots onions and kale grown in the garden.  After the soup had been simmering, we sautéed these ingredients in butter to give more flavor then added them to the pot.

We had another two friends show up with beef broth and a chicken with spinach and a siracha sauce.  I added the broth, then waited for it to come back up to a simmer then added the chicken siracha mix.  

At this time we sautéed the mushrooms with butter and added white wine, let it steam for a few moments then added that to the soup.

I made some rice in my rice cooker at this point.  Then we let the soup simmer while we played the game Munchkin!  Once the game was over, we read the Stone Soup story.

I believe everyone had 2 bowls of this fantastic soup!  I couldn't believe the taste!  All the flavors melded perfectly!  We will most definitely do this again!





No comments:

Post a Comment