Sunday, July 13, 2014

Kool Aid Tie Dye-- FAIL

I thought for our trip home through the airports, it would be good to dress us alike so I can see the kids and they can find us easily if something should happen we are separated in the busy airport...  So my thinking cap thought tie dye!  I looked on the internet for tie dye ideas without a tie dye kit or using RIT fabric dye...  (Here in Japan they don't really have that or do that... and the Arts & Craft Center on base only has dark yucky fabric dye colors) I found some blogs about using kool aid for dye.  I decided to try it out... 

The recipe asks for 1 packet of kool aid and 1 oz of vinegar.  After completing your tie dye pattern on your clothes, let air dry for 24 hours.  Then set with heat of an iron.  After this you do a salt cold water bath then wash as normal after washing by itself  the first 2 times... 

 
I started with white t-shirts and did the spiral method...

 
It took a few tries to get them spiraled good!

Here is the start!

Of course, all the neighborhood girls came to check out what was going on!

After they were complete, I took the rubber bands out and then hung them to dry.

 
They came out awesome!  I LOVED how vibrant and colorful they were and the spirals were GREAT too!!


Unfortunately after letting them dry, then setting with the heat of an iron, I didn't want to wash them and risk losing that beautiful art!  This though was a must because they smelled like vinegar...  But since I had ironed them, I thought they were safe to salt water treat then wash to get the smell out.  As soon as they hit the cold salt water, the color started bleeding out... after 5 minutes in the bath, they were PINK!  I was so mad! 

Kool Aid dye does NOT work!  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment